United announced on Monday it has been mutually agreed with Greenwood that “it would be most appropriate for him” to resume his career away from Old Trafford following the conclusion of a six-and-a-half-month investigation.
Greenwood hasn&apost played for United since January 2020 but the Crown Prosecution Service dropped charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault against the striker on February 2, 2023. The club initially intended to reintegrate him into their first-team squad but U-turned on the decision after a backlash from supporters last week.
Speaking on Sky Sports&apos Monday Night Football, United legend Neville said he believed the right decision was made but remained critical of how the club handled the process.
“Yes, they have made the right decision and finally got there,” he said. “I think it was clear from day one for me and everyone else that saw that evidence that was initially released that he would not play for Manchester United again. However, the process of getting there has been pretty horrible.
“Manchester United, when you have significant situations and difficult situations like this, you need strong and authoritative leadership, and Manchester United dont have that.”
Neville added that he believes the situation further shows the need for an independent regulator in English football given United have shown a lack of &aposskill and ability&apos to handle an incident of such severity themselves.