Liverpool FC appeal to fans after girl, 15, suffers ‘serious head injury’ at Man City game

The 15-year-old was struck by the missile thrown from the third tier of the Etihad Stadium, where approximately 5,500 visiting Liverpool fans were housed, shortly after the Reds&apos first goal in the game.

She was left with a one-inch gash on the back of her head and had to be rushed off to have it glued by medics after the hard plastic, reusable beer cup, which was filled with liquid and had a number of coins inside, shattered on impact.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have since launched an investigation and have appealed for anyone with information to come forward. Following the incident, the dad of the girl, who the Manchester Evening News is not identifying, said he believed she could have been killed.

He then later posted a picture of the cup and her blood-stained City scarf and said she had been &aposscarred for life&apos both physically and emotionally as a result of what happened.

He also revealed Liverpool&aposs chief executive Billy Hogan had personally rang him to apologise. And the club has now gone a step further, and penned a letter to all LFC fans who were at the game, appealing for anyone with information to come forward, reports the Liverpool Echo.

It says: “Ahead of our fixture at Manchester City on 22nd December, both club chief executives wrote a joint letter to all match-going fans to ask for full support in tackling behaviours and actions that have no place in our game.

“In this letter we also explained our commitment to dealing with any unacceptable behaviours and our intention to take action by issuing sanctions to those found to be responsible for any issues and incidents.

“As part of that commitment we are writing today to everyone who bought a ticket for the fixture asking for your support in identifying the individual who threw an object from the LFC section, down onto the Manchester City fans below, at the match on the 22nd.

“This resulted in a 15-year-old girl sustaining a serious head injury, an incident which is now being investigated by Greater Manchester Police. It has also severely knocked her confidence to attend football matches in the future.

“If you have any evidence that could support the police investigation, we strongly urge you to report this to via quoting log 1880 of 22/12/2022.

“Alternatively, you can report information anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or to us at LFC by clicking here and it will then be fed into the ongoing inquiry. With thanks and best wishes LFC Supporter Services”

In an update issued last week, GMP said they &aposreceived reports of a young girl being wounded by a cup filled with coins at the Manchester City F.C v Liverpool F.C. EFL Cup game.”

“It is believed the cup was thrown inside the Etihad Stadium at around 8:25pm from the upper tier down to the lower tier in the stadium, which subsequently hit and injured a 15-year-old girl causing a 1-inch laceration to her head” they added, describing it as a &aposmalicious attack.&apos

Superintendent Gareth Parkin said: GMP will not tolerate violent or malicious behaviour in any situation, this does NOT exclude football matches or sports games. Clearly throwing objects in a confined area can be dangerous and have serious and sometimes devastating consequences.

We are continuing to investigate this incident and would urge those who attended the game who know who is responsible or could have any information to assist us further, to please come forward.”

As well as the incident involving the girl, GMP said they were aware of a &aposnumber of objects&apos being thrown during the game,. A 53-year-old man, understood to be a City fan, was also taken to hospital after being assaulted after the game at the junction of Ashton New Road and Alan Turing Way.

Reports have also claimed that disabled Liverpool supporters were subjected to racial abuse during the fixture. GMP confirmed a man had been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.

In a joint statement issued the day after the game, the two clubs said: “”Manchester City FC, Liverpool FC and the Chairs from our supporter groups have worked together in recent weeks to remind fans of our expectations and both clubs would like to thank the vast majority of fans for their behaviour at last nights Carabao Cup match at the Etihad Stadium.

“It is however hugely disappointing that there were a number of incidents during last nights match that are wholly unacceptable.

“These incidents will be fully investigated, reported to the police and the individuals who are found to be responsible will be subject to the sanction process of their respective club.

“Manchester City FC and Liverpool FC are fully committed to working together to eradicate these issues from our fixtures. They have no place in football.”

Get the latest headlines here


The multi-million pound drugs gang who splashed their cash on designer clothes and Rolex watches

Boss of dog friendly pub hits back at one-star Tripadvisor review, saying: “We are happy that you will never be returning”

CCTV appeal after man knocked unconscious in &aposhorrific&apos attack outside bar